Saturday 27 May 2017

Sunny Days & Car Boot Sales

It's Saturday and it feels like it's going to be another stunner.  During the early hours I awoke to the sound of heavy rain but it's almost 11am now and it's warm and sunny, Yay!

Yesterday afternoon we were invited to a neighbour's BBQ so, armed with a pack of veggie sausages, a bottle of good rose wine and 4 cans of San Miguel, we tootled off just a few yards away for a good chin wag and lots of laughter.  By 11pm we were getting chilly so we dragged ourselves away home and slept like logs until a) I heard the rain and b) OH got up at 7am to go to work.  Me?  I'm off out shortly to visit DD and her family and to eat (probably) another bit of barbecue food in the sun :)


On Wednesday we decided (well, to be truthful I decided) that we ought to do a car boot sale to help clear some 'stuff' and raise some cash for our next short holiday.

The nearest one opened to sellers at the unearthly hour of 5.30am!  We packed the car the night before, got up at silly o'clock, skipped breakfast and got there at 6am.  As soon as we had turned off the ignition and opened the boot the dealers descended like a pack of wolves!  I sold 4 items before so much as a single box had been unloaded but I decided that a 'bird in the hand' was most definitely 'worth two in the bush'.  Luckily, they bought stuff I really wanted rid of but we didn't manage to sell any of the decent stuff because people wanted to pay very silly prices and I'm not selling my treasured crystal for £1 :(   We took a total of £29.50 and it cost £7.50 for the spot so by 11.30am we gave up, packed up and came home.  Not a very cost effective exercise but worth a try we thought.

In a weak moment I booked a table at a local craft fair which takes place in 2 weeks time :/  so I am busy making lots of items to sell (hopefully)  I will not be allowed to sell my HM cards as there are already other sellers booked in, so I'm racking the creative side of my brain for other ideas!  I only want to make low priced items because, although the table only costs £5, I need to make at least some profit on the day.  I'll try my pin cushions again and make some simple brooches, card toppers, felt hanging hearts etc

Has anyone else chanced their arm selling at craft fairs this year?  Are people actually spending their money?  I know many belts are being pulled in at the moment but I would regret not trying....

Enjoy your day wherever you happen to be and thanks everso for popping in x

11 comments:

  1. The weather has been beautiful. Perfect for a BBQ, it sounds like you had a great time.
    The craft fair is a good idea. I've noticed bunting is quite popular at sales I've been to. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip Jules, it's a great idea x

      Delete
  2. Could you put together a few card making packs for children to make fathers day cards, all you would need is card envelope a couple toppers ( I always use stuff I'm not going to use myself), these packs always sell well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A brilliant idea Marlene, I'll definitely try that one, thank you x

      Delete
  3. Sorry that your car boot wasn't brilliant. I have always found them so hit and miss.
    Good luck with your craft fair though. Hope you have a really good day-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you didn't do so well with the car boot sale, hopefully you will do better with the craft fair. I haven't done one for awhile but I always did well with some simple rag wreaths, the bonus is they are quick and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea MM, thank you. I've not made any wreaths but it's worth a go x

      Delete
  5. Hi, another idea on the wreath theme is plastic bag wreaths. You can buy a roll of 500 small bags from the £ shop just knot each bag round the wire wreath (takes about 200 bags) decorate afterwards with summer colour ribbon/bows. We made them at WI last Christmas and they sold very well. Good luck.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks for the idea Hazel! I'll have a go x

      Delete
  6. Glad to be of help hope you do well.
    Hazel

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx